Image Map

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Our First Look

Yesterday was a big day in the Ritchie household - a day that had us all full of excitement and anxiety all at the same time.  When the doctor's office called me a month ago and scheduled our 20-week anatomy scan for Friday the 13th, I pretty much convinced myself that we were going to hear that there was something wrong.  Silly?  Yes.  But I don't think that you can blame me.  Most people look forward to these appointments, but I get more and more "ugh" as the day inches closer.  I tossed and turned the entire night before and felt like I was mentally preparing myself for a bomb to drop.  Don't get me wrong...the first time I lay eyes on that little black and white image of our child, my heart melts.  Healthy, "broken-hearted"...I love them all the same...but I'm fearful none-the-less. 

Yesterday morning, Matt and I sat together in a darkened sonogram room as an ultrasound tech gave us our first peek at Baby Ritchie #3. 

And he was perfect.

Perfect heart.
Only a heart parent gets a huge smile on their face when the doctor says "look at those big juicy ventricles!"
Perfect thumb-sucking profile.

Perfectly perfect baby boy.

We'll get a much closer look at this little boy's ticker in another month when we have our fetal echo, but we're definitely breathing a little easier after our preliminary peek.  Big sister undoubtedly had a hand in keeping him safe and sound in there! 

Thanks to all of you for the kind words and well wishes yesterday.  Sometimes I forget just how many people we have helping us through this crazy life.  Every text, prayer, and "congratulations" helped make yesterday a pretty amazing one.  We can't begin to thank you enough.




No comments:

Post a Comment