Image Map

Sunday, January 7, 2018

1/52

Coming here tonight feels like a long overdue reunion with a sweet, sweet friend. This space used to be my refuge; a place where I could come to pour out my...well...my everything. My excitement. My grief. My frustration. My pain. My love. It helped me through my highest of highs and my lowest of lows. It was a loyal friend that never needed to come up with words to comfort me, but rather soaked in my words, always listening and never passing judgement or telling me that everything was going to be okay.

Then came life with 3 little boys. My time and attention have been needed elsewhere-- mouths to feed, bottoms to wipe, redheads to prevent from climbing onto the stove or drowning in the toilet. Don't get me wrong, it was a sacrifice that I was more than willing to make. Those boys are my EVERYTHING. But through it all there has always been a tiny spark deep in my heart just waiting for the time when my brain would clear enough to form coherent thoughts and sentences and I could come back here again.


I think that time has finally come. 
Here goes nothing...

1/52

:: a portrait of our yahoos, once a week, every week in 2018 ::

Brooks | For you, 2018 is sure to be a year filled with all things NEW. You are smack in the middle of a baby-to-toddler transition and are wasting no time discovering the great big world around you. This weeks new? We’ve said our official farewell to a highchair and welcomed you to our dinner table. Its sure to be a messy experience with lots of plate tossing, but its more than worth it to see that proud grin on your face knowing that you've officially "made it."  
Max | 2018 started out with you discovering your love for games. It started with Go Fish and now includes Monoply Jr. (Bonobowy, in Max speak) and Yahtzee. We’re learning hard lessons about winning and losing, but have been impressed with how well you handle the latter. Rather than having the anticipated 3-year-old meltdown, you typically just say "wets pway 1 more time" over and over again until you win. Oh sweet boy, you absolutely melt me.
Harry | Your brother Brooks isn't the only one going thru some major transitions these days. You, my love, are quickly leaving behind all things "little" in exchange for the exciting world of a big boy. Taking showers. Learning to read. Big kid attitude. It has been equal parts amazing and frustrating for all of us, you see, this is new territory for your dad and me too. We hope and pray every single day that we don't screw you up too badly do right by you and instill a good balance of love, kindness, strength and perseverance in your heart that carries you well into adulthood.

Wish me luck, world. Only 51 weeks to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment