Image Map

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Good Morning, Love.

On Wednesday morning a little boy that I know decided that he was going to STARVE if he didn't get a bottle bright and early at 6:00 AM.  Not wanting my 20lb 7 month old to waste away (insert sarcasm) I groggily stumbled into his room, where he sucked down a full bottle and thankfully decided that he still had a little more sleep in him.  

Fast forward to 8:20.  I'm up and have had my morning cup of coffee.  Harrison is still sound asleep. 

On this particular morning, I'm not sure why, but I had an overwhelming urge to "see" him.  I peeked my head into his room and tip-toed across the carpet.  Before I knew it I was sitting cross-legged on the floor, staring through the side of his crib.  Sigh.  There he was, my sweet little sleeper.  I hardly moved a muscle in fear of disturbing him.  It was a sight that I never want to forget - his peaceful sleeping face, soft breaths, an occasional sleep sigh, Charley Bear laying near.  He melts me.

I'm not sure how long I sat there watching him, but eventually he started to stir.  I did what any sane mother would do and immediately laid flat on the floor so that he wouldn't know I was there.  Now instead of watching, I started listening.  His voice is different when he's just waking up.  There is no excited shouting, no monster voice...just my sweet baby boy and his soft baby words.  Words spoken only slightly louder than a whisper.  Again, I melt.


As I quietly sat up again, I whispered a happy "Good Morning" and received a perfect smile in return.



These are the moments that we often take for granted.  It's too easy to hear your child waking and to think "Just 10 more minutes, baby boy.  Mama needs to finish x, y, z."  How often do you take the time to simply sit, watch and listen?  What do I need to do that could possibly be more important than those precious waking moments?  I cherish these moments.  These sights.  These sounds.  

I know all too well that tomorrow everything could change. 


No comments:

Post a Comment