Image Map

Thursday, February 14, 2013

That's a Wrap! Awareness Week 2013

As I mentioned in my post a few days ago, this past week we have been celebrating CHD Awareness Week.  And while the Little Miss Ritchie site may have been a little more quiet than normal, that doesn't mean that there weren't a lot of exciting things going on to help educate non-"Heartland" residents about CHD.  It was a week full of CHD Awareness Week proclamations, news/magazine features, fact sharing and personal story telling.  As our "official" week comes to an end, I thought that I would highlight a few of my favorite parts of the week!

There were yearly blog traditions {Interview with a Heart Mom}

There were incredible undertakings {Cora's Hopes and Dreams: Every 15 minutes}  
"Every 15 minutes, a child is born with a congenital heart defect. In honor of Congenital Heart Defect Awareness week (February 7 to 14) and National Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Day, I’m sharing one story every 15 minutes today." ~Kristine Brite-McCormick 

There were stories in newspapers {Avery} {Cameron

There were stories on the evening news {Claire and Ryland}

There were articles in magazines {Pregnancy and Newborn}

And then there was my sister Angie.  

She started on February 7th by sharing a post on Facebook and announcing that she had "something" planned for each day of CHD Awareness Week.  Below is my copy-and-paste recap of what the past week has held!  


Day #1:  Congenital Heart Defect Awareness Week starts today!! I'm going to post something everyday from today thru the 14th. I can only hope to have half the spirit for this cause that my sister and brother-in-law have every single day. Their passion and strength simply amazes me ❤

Day #2...If you worked in my building you'd get some yummies today! 
Passing out 4 dozen cookies one by one.
Day #3....I went to an event today called An Affair of the Heart. While it has nothing to do with CHD awareness, I got to feel the love of family. Look who I found!
Day #4...Midwest Heart Connection - what an awesome organization! They provide support for patients with CHD and their families, raise public awareness on CHD and very importantly, raise funds for pediatric cardiology research. I've had the opportunity to attend a few of their events and even had the winning bid in a silent auction for a painting I'll always treasure! Check them out! www.midwestheartconnection.com
Day #5...Breakin' the law today by not wearing an Integris-sponsored logo...but I don't really care. 
Day #6...we're still in full spirit for CHD Awareness Week! I see your cute baby and his socks...

{She had sent me these heart socks earlier in the week} 
and raise you this....
Day #7...the necklace I've been eyeing went on sale! Love having reminders of little Charlotte close to my heart.

And just when I thought the fun and games was over, along came today's post(s).  I laughed.  Then I laughed some more.  I laughed until I was disruptive.  I laughed until there were tears running down my face.  

In my hunt for the perfect "Day #8 Sweater", I made the mistake of stopping at Forever21. "Heart stuff? Oh yah, we have tons of totally cute heart stuff"...says the 14 year old boy working there. And so it began....
 I never want to be Forever21...ever.
 When in doubt, go to Old Navy.

Thank you, Angie for providing us with a week FULL of smiles and for helping us celebrate Charlotte and all of our CHD friends/angels.  I looked forward to your posts every day and couldn't have ended the week better if I had tried!  {PS...I'm STILL laughing!} 

CHD Awareness Week 2013 is officially in the books.  I encourage you to check out some of the links that I provided above.  There are so many incredible stories attached to each of them.   





1 comment: