Image Map

Friday, April 25, 2014

Sweet Dreams

For the past 22 months, our bedtime routine has been the same. There has been very little variation, few reasons to stray from familiarity. We say our good-nights, give kisses where necessary, and make our way upstairs to your room. Once there, we snuggle into the chair that Daddy got for me for my very first Mother’s Day, read books, talk about the moon and the stars, and say our prayers. When I put you into your crib you request “blankie out” (meaning you want me to spread your blanket out) and we perform a head count to make sure that both of your bears are accounted for. From there we turn on your seahorse, your fan for some white noise, and I give you a few more kisses before wishing you the sweetest dreams. It’s always been the same, and quite honestly, it’s one of my favorite parts of the day.

When baby brother came along thoughts of change were forced into our minds. We started talking more and more about your big boy bed in the room next door, though I’ll be the first to admit that there was a lot more “talk” than actual intent to take the plunge. Big boy beds are for big boys….and you, sweet Harrison, will always be my baby. As your brother grew bigger and bigger, it became clear that your crib days were nearing their end. Yet still, my big plans to transition were repeatedly pushed off into the future for no good reason other than my unpreparedness and your love for that crib of yours.

Last week I boldly stated “This weekend we’re moving Harrison into his big boy room.”
Two days later I said, “Maybe we should wait until a weekend where daddy isn’t working.”

Again…mommy wasn’t ready.
I was stalling.
I crave routine.
I’m bad with change.

Thursday night, April 17, I tried to put you into the big boy bed just for books. You screamed and cried and convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt that you weren’t ready. We made our way into your nursery and fell back into our familiar routine.

I wish that I would have known then what I know now.

…That one night later you would contently read books with your daddy in that big boy bed.

…That one night later you would ask me “Big boy bed?” on our way up the stairs.

…That one night later you would successfully sleep through the night in a bed that makes you look so, so tiny...and that you would continue to do so for the next 7 nights and counting.

Had I known then, I might have rocked you just a little bit longer the night before.


H and crew {2 bears, a blankie, monkey, zebra, sea horse, book, and cup of water (thirsty boy with a fever)} all tucked in for the night.  He refuses to be covered up and insists "I stuck" every time I try!

Mommy and Daddy are so proud of you, Harrison, and look forward to continuing our familiar routines with a little change of scenery!  Sweet dreams....


No comments:

Post a Comment