Image Map

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Anxiety Much?


I promised myself that I would always be honest here, so here goes...a sneak peak into my crazy side.

There I was, walking through the grocery store, when my phone rang.   It was Matt.  No big deal (not that you aren't a big deal, honey.  I promise you are a big deal.)  The conversation went kind of as follows...


Me:  Hey do we have flour?
Matt:  Yup.
Me:  Do we have sugar?
Matt: Yup.
Me:  How about brown sugar?
Matt:  Nope, no brown sugar.
Both of us:  Blah blah blah....
Matt:  Well, I got stung by a wasp for the first time ever.  Apparently I'm not allergic to them.
Me:  What?!  You got stung?!
Matt:  Yeah.  It sucked.  Will you see if they sell wasp spray at Hy-Vee?

Conversation over.  I finished my shopping and then made my way toward home.

As I pulled into the neighborhood all of a sudden I thought about the comment "Apparently I'm not allergic to them."  My mind started to go to places that I never would have imagined.  What if he WAS allergic to them?  What if it was a delayed reaction?  What if he wasn't ok?  He'd never been stung before...we had no way of knowing.  I prayed as I drove.  I knew I was being crazy, but I couldn't help it.

I walked into the house and announced that I was home....no answer.  
I said his name a few extra times....no answer.
My heart raced as I made my way up the stairs two at a time.

There he was, putting away laundry in our closet.  He hadn't fallen victim to anaphylactic shock from a wasp sting.  He was ok.  He was alive.

I cried.  

What the heck had just happened?  Why did I freak over something so incredibly ridiculous?  Its never happened before.  I hope it never happens again.

Its crazy what losing a child will do to you.

Sigh...deep breath...

3 comments:

  1. {{{HUG}}} Thinking of you!

    I like the new look of your blog. I think the header is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ((hugs)) I can't even imagine what a feeling of dread you had :(

    To add a bit of humor...Jeff runs and screams like a girl when he sees a wasp. I have a feeling it provides the neighbors with a lot of entertainment. I keep wishing I could get it on video, I would YouTube it for the entire world to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kristen... ((hugs)). I know that from the moment Aly was born, my mind always races to the worst case scenario in most instances it never did before. I can only imagine how magnified that must be for you. Thinking of you friend and always sending thoughts and prayers of strength for your family.

    ReplyDelete