Image Map

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Ten Things 2012


Well, here we are again celebrating a somewhat "awkward" holiday...Father's Day. We're missing our feisty two year old that should be running around the house, and not quite ready to welcome her little brother into the world, but that doesn't make this day any less special.  

Dear Charley Bear and "Franklin,"

Wow...I think that this is the first time that I have ever written a special letter directed toward BOTH of you!  It fills me with so many emotions...sadness that we will never have you both here in our arms at the same time, but also overwhelming love and thankfulness that God trusted us to love and care for each of you.

I'm writing you today for a very special occasion...it's FATHER'S DAY!      

Last year I did a special post for Father's Day documenting 10 little tid-bits that I wanted to share with you about your Daddy.  There are so many incredible things about him that I figured it would be pretty easy to continue adding to the list year after year.    

"Ten Things You Should Know About Your Daddy"

1.  Your daddy has a very contagious laugh!  Sometimes we'll be watching TV and something funny will hit him just right.  He'll start laughing so hard that he ends up with tears pouring down his face.  A part of me wants to be irritated because his laughter drowns out the rest of the show, but I always find myself laughing right along beside him...not necessarily for the same reason though...its mostly because his laugh makes me laugh!  I can only hope that my kiddos find someone to spend their lives with who does the same for them!

2.  He really likes his vegetables!  That might seem like something silly to put on this list, but its something about him that I want to make sure you hear loud and clear (especially you baby boy!)  Veggies are yummy even if Mommy makes funny faces when she eats them sometimes.  

3.  He can fall asleep faster and harder than any person I have ever known before.  As a matter of fact, he's been known to fall asleep mid-sentence when we are talking in bed at night.  I'm hoping that he'll pass that quality on to you, baby boy.  Fall asleep fast, sleep deep, sleep long.  Sounds pretty simple, right?

4.  He's not only a good Daddy-Daddy, but he's also a good Puppy-Daddy!  Remember your crazy puppies Charlotte?  You're brother hasn't had the opportunity to meet them yet, but he's no doubt heard their crazy barking and felt Maybe trying to climb all over my belly.  Anyway, Maybe and Stella love you and me...but they LOVE your Daddy!  It may or may not have something to do with the fact that he is the official "fetcher" in the house!  

5.  Your Daddy is a VERY loyal friend.  Unlike most people who gradually "drift" from a lot of their high school friends as the years pass, Daddy still has a BIG group of guys that he is very close with.  The up side of that for you?  Lots of extra crazy "uncles"!   

6.  Sometimes your Daddy likes to "act" like he's right even when he knows he's not.  Its called being stubborn.  Some day you'll see what I mean (until then, lets keep that one between us!)

7.  I think that I put this on last year's list, but its too important not to include again...Your Daddy is my rock.  We've been on a bumpy/crazy road for the last year and I can't even begin to imagine how I would still be standing here today if he hadn't been by my side the whole time.  I thank God every single day for bringing your Daddy into our lives.

8.  He's pretty darn smart...especially when it comes to all things related to Nebraska pharmacy rules and regulations!  Congratulations Matty on passing your Nebraska MPJE!  That means that Baby Boy Ritchie and I don't have to live in a box on the side of the road! :)  I can't wait for him to teach you all sorts of things.

9.  Your Daddy is kind of...well...how do I put this nicely.....a dork.  We're talking like a "I can tell you everything about the Lord of the Rings" kind of dork.  But you know what?  Its one of the things that I love most about him!

10.  Daddy never gives less than all of himself...he likes to do things, do them right and do them well.  It doesn't matter if its work, recreation or home life - he takes great pride at the end of the day of a job well done.  This might be one of the most important things that I can tell you about your Daddy, because I know that when it comes to you he always has and always will give 1,000 percent.  He will love you endlessly, no matter what.   

Father's Day is a hard day, but also a day for me to sit back and reflect on how lucky my children are to have the Daddy that they do.  It breaks my heart, Charlotte, that you only had 1 year to experience life with him, but I know that as you watch over us everyday you continue to see all of the reasons that I fell in love with him.  I have never witnessed love like the love your Daddy has for you...his little girl.  There really are not words to describe it.  As for you, little boy, I'm so excited to see you in your Daddy's arms for the first time.  His eyes already sparkle at the mere mention of your name and mine do the same when I think about the special connection that the two of you will have as father and son.  

I love you both with all of my heart and will make sure to give Daddy some extra special hugs today.  I'll try not to make the hugs too tight for your sake "Franklin" - I wouldn't want you getting any more squished in there!

XOXOXO,
Mommy

2 comments:

  1. Happy Daddy's Day to Matt...you sure sound like one lucky family to have him:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Kristen, I have to finally fess up. I have been secretly "stalking" yor blog about once every several months for about a year(or so) now. I always love to get the updates. I felt the need to comment on this one after reading your top 10 on Daddy. I know first hand what a reat guy Mr. Matt is, but # 10 resounded, especially, with me. No need for details. I just couldn't agree more. You have one cool dude there!! Good luck on your new adventure!-Kathi

    ReplyDelete